It looks like Collingwood won’t make the finals in 2017 however nature’s own magpies are starting to appear and swooping cyclists.
A Gippsland cyclist last week took to website Magpie Alert, where the birds’ victim share swooping hotspots, to report he came under fire on Normanby Pl in Warragul.
Tips compiled by Magpie Watch to ward off the black-and-white dive-bombers include:
- Staying clear of known magpie nesting sites
- Tell others about the sites and informing local council
- Staying calm; if you panic and flap then this is more likely to appear as aggressive behaviour and provoke a further attack
- Wear sun glasses and with a hat to protect your head and eyes
- Get off your bike and walk if attacked while cycling
- Wear a wide-brimmed hat or carry an umbrella
Video of a magpie attacking a cyclist. Warning: Some colourful language is used: